Saturday, May 1, 2010

Band Month is Here


Now the clock is really ticking; and it is not for having a baby. :) May is my band month and a lot is happening!!!

This Coming Week: My pre-op physical with my regular dr and my first pre-op class (3 hrs long)

Next Week: My appt. with my band surgeon and my second pre-op class (another 3 hrs)

I start my liquid diet on Sat., May 15...not sure what all that entails but it doesn't sound filling. :) I feel like it is a penance for bad eating habits over the years. So I have ten days of liquid diet before the surgery.

Last night we went out for Mexican food...I cherished every bite. I looked at the plate thinking that down the road that much food is never going to happen again in one meal. I'm not really counting down to the surgery now as much as I'm counting down until the liquid diet. That is when my unhealthy relationship with food hits the dust.

Thank you to newly banded Jacquie who gave me a "shout out" and now I have 18 followers!
Not quite sure what to do with everyone, but it sounds exciting to say I have 18 followers. :)
For those of you that are preband, I thought you might enjoy this story and learn from me "what NOT to do." I had my first visit with my surgeon, dietitian, etc. to get the ball rolling last October. I REALLY did not expect to get approval since I did not have any major co-morbidities and my BMI was below 40. When it was time for my 45 min. appt. with the dietitian she wanted to discuss what I currently ate and then talk about what the post-surgery diet would be like. I felt like I was wasting her time and told her, "Shouldn't we wait until I have approval before we go over all this?" I think I rendered her speechless. If I had it to do all over again, I would have asked away and taken great notes. So all in all, I chatted with the dietitian for about 15 min. top. Moral of the story: Go into this with the assumption that you will get approval and get the most out of your time with all of your team of professionals.

My favorite part of the day was when the nurse taking my measurements asked me my goal weight and I told her 145. She said that was realistic and that I would be "cute" at that weight.

She made my day! How often do you get to be called "cute" when you are over 50? Hope reigns eternal!

Follower Advice??? Anything I should be eating now that will not be lap band friendly? I have two weeks to say goodbye to those foods. :)

Happy Weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about food you can't eat. Everyone is different. Some people find bread doesn't go down well, others fruit and veges and rice. I can eat basically anything but don't have full restriction. It's more getting used to eating less. Last night we had Indian Food and I portioned out my 1.5 cups. I did wait an hour and had a bit more (maybe half a cup) and was stuffed. So it isn't that you can't eat, it's that you can't eat as much. I did the "last suppers" but after a few weeks of eating so much, I got pretty bored with it. I actually was looking forward to not eating much.

    So glad you got approval and are so close. The liquid diet is the hardest but gives a nice weightloss so I was glad I did it. It also shrunk my liver too. Come visit your followers. We like comments as much as you will and by reading a variety of blogs you will find a vast resource of knowledge. If you need a questions answered, you'll get an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm preband, but I've heard that steak is hard for some. However, like Sandy Lee said, everybody is different. Glad to hear things are rolling along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...any excuse to have steak now is reasonable. :) We were planning on going to our favorite restaurant sometime in the next two weeks. They have wonderful steaks!

    I like Sandy Lee's comment that we can eat...just not as much. That is a reasonable thing to hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to be so close! I'd love to hear what the cover in the classes. I have a 3 hr class with the nutritionist but that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice, thanks for your comments on my blog and for reading all of it. You are so kind. I'm really excited for you, things will be moving so quickly. I did so much "last suppering" that I gained 10 pounds, not the smartest thing I've done. I'm like Sandy, I can eat just about anything right now, just much less of it. I had a big ol steak though as my official last splurge, it was good. I hope all goes well, I did not have to do a liquid diet pre op, I don't think I would have been able to do it. Good luck and I'm looking forward to watching all of your successes along the way!

    ReplyDelete