Friday, May 21, 2010

The Good Old Days...Didn't Appreciate them Enough

I promise these are probably the only pix I will ever have up of me in a swimsuit. :) I kept these old pix in my Weight Watchers book to remind me of what I was working for. These pix were taken 25 years ago, when I weighed 127 at 5'5". At the time I was obsessed with my weight and thought I was pudgy. I was doing modeling and commercial print work, and I was always about 10 - 15 lbs heavier than everyone else.

Now many pounds later, I'm not at all obsessed with my weight...I'm just comfortable. I think less about being overweight now than I did 25 years ago. It has become less of a priority in between taking care of children and work. I DO think I need to lose weight; it just is not the obsession that it was in the past. Neither scenario was healthy and a bit to the extreme. My new goal is to focus on being HEALTHY, and being a HEALTHY role model for my daughters.

Day 6 of liquid diets, ho hum...getting a bit boring. We were at the grocery store last night and I told my husband I wanted to buy a small bag of Salt and Vinegar potato chips. I did NOT want to eat them, just lick them. I promise...no eating, just licking. That counts as liquid diet if I just lick, right??? Hmmm...guess I'm craving salt.


I paid my portion of the hospital bill earlier this week and I told the financial consultant, "I guess this makes it real, can't back out now. I bet you get a lot of people who tell you that." She said no, that I was the first. I think it was because my dr. planted the seed last week during our group visit. At the end of the presentation he said that if anyone changed their mind about the procedure, they could walk away and he would support that. He wants people that are 110% committed to the procedure and the work that goes with it. I wonder how many people do change their mind shortly before the surgery. I have worked too hard to turn back now, but sometimes I rub my smooth fat little tummy and say "I'm sorry. Eventually,you will have a few scars, but you will be smaller and HEALTHIER! " Just a few pre-surgery jitters on my part.

Shout out to Gen...great suggestion to add SHOPPING to things to do instead of EAT list. Excellent addition!

6 comments:

  1. How does that happen to young women? I have pictures like that too, and I just wonder how I couldn't see myself as thin, when obviously I was. Something we all need to think about.

    It's getting so close for you, it's a very exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely look good, but dare I say too skinny? It's amazing how silly our young brains are - I have a couple of pictures of me at my skinniest that I would KILL to look like that again, and yet I thought I was so fat at the time.

    Also: Salt & Vinegar Kettle Chips are my secret lover. I have finished off an entire bag in one weekend before - and not the small one! It'll be a while before I even look at a bag though - I can't control myself! If you're craving salt, look into Unjury's Chicken Soup flavored protein powder. It's an indispensable part of my arsenal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate looking at old pictures and thinking-why did I think I was so fat? I was always bigger than everyone else, but not where I was before band. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I had that exact one piece bathing suit back in the 80s! I think it was 1986-87? I was about 135lbs and also thought I was fat! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yow - look at those curves. And I totally get this post. I was the same.. hourglass figure, very little fat .. a size 12 (8 in the US) and I thought I was fat. Pah!! Oh for the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way when I was younger and much thinner. It's really a shame that we can't accept and love our bodies until something happens like packing on hundreds of pounds.

    Anyways, I think it's great that you will be focusing on health rather than weight. I am not interested in getting down to my "ideal" weight according to the charts and BMI scale. You will be setting a GREAT example for you girls! :)

    ReplyDelete