Monday, May 10, 2010

PreOp Class Details




My dr. requires that we take two preop classes prior to surgery. The classes are three hours long each. I took the first one last Thursday (6-9 pm). There were six patients there, including myself. I was the only one scheduled for lap band. When I attend the monthly support group the mix is closer to 50/50 lapband and gastric, so it seemed a bit odd to have that many more gastric patients. The baby spoon shown up above is part of our homework this week. :)

Homework:
-Buy chewable vitamins
(Recommended Choices: Sugar Free Bugs Bunny or Flintstones Complete) After we move on to regular food, we can switch to an adult multiple vitamin

-Examine labels of food we eat

-Use baby spoon to eat and meal and try to make the meal last 20 minutes

-Find a smaller plate (7" and practice using for meals)

One of the perks this doctor coordinates, is FREE membership at a local health/wellness center. (see picture up above) for two months. This also includes membership for a friend so we have a support person. PLUS...8 sessions with a personal trainer. (Ideally, break that into one session a week). Some of the fitness trainers have been to our support group meetings and are great working with WLS patients. My oldest daughter and husband are hoping they will be chosen as my "friend." The facility is next door to my doctor's office. It is state of the art with classes, pools, rehab, exercise equipment...you name it.

Okay...back to PreOp Class.
The first hour and a half we covered information with the dietitian. (we received 46 page handout).
Highlights:
Carbohydrates Recommendations: 130 grams a day
Simple Carbohydrates (Sugar): No added sugar in the first five ingredients
Less than 2 grams of sugar per serving (excluding fruit and milk products)
Protein Recommendations: 50 - 80 grams per day

We talked about the speed of eating and portion sizes.
How to read food labels

Diet before surgery (10 days of liquid diet/5 meals of liquid protein beverage each day)
1 day before surgery (clear liquids)
2 weeks after surgery (Full liquids)
3-4 weeks after surgery (Pureed Food)
5-6 weeks after surgery (Soft Consistency Foods)
Weeks 7 and Beyond (Regular consistency foods - focus on low fat, low sugar-high protein)


They threw in a few recipes. We discussed protein drink options. I think I'm going to go with
Carnation Instant Breakfast/no sugar added (20 grams of protein) Mix 2 packet with 8 oz of skim milk and add 6 tbsp. of non-fat dried milk.

They suggested Atkins Advantage for protein bar (only has 1 gm sugar)

We received a chart to determine when we are hungry (it includes a scale to rate how hungry we are, how long it has been since we last ate, mood...)

The next 45 min. we had a psychologist talk with us. She said about 30-33% of WLS patients gain back the weight they lose. It was also emphasized that we are not going to be perfect. We discussed stress management tips. Again, we had a packet of handouts.

Finally we wrapped up the last 45 min. of the night with a physical trainer. She showed us many exercises that used equipment we might have around home. We also received charts for exercise (10,000 steps program), tips for motivation.

Whew...so that is a quick overview of the night. I found it very helpful and informative. Plus, it makes it seem more real.
I didn't have time to eat dinner before the class, so I stopped at McD on the way home (about an hour drive) and grabbed an unhealthy late dinner. I know those days are limited. :)

Time to call it a night!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info Janice...its getting closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of info! I think the smaller plate and utensils definately help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found my blog! Thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That center is a cool perk! I think we got access to a workout center too but I live too far to use it. Luckily I have a gym at my work.

    It'll be great to have a trainer that early in your journey. Most patients take a few months at least to get going. You'll have the jump on us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 7 weeks before regular foods??? Holy cow! Cool about the gym membership though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's crazy how surgery centers vary with their recommendations. Thanks for sharing yours, but there is no way I could go 7 weeks without normal food. My guidelines are 24 hours prior to surgery clear liquids as well as 48 hours after. 1st week liquids and 2nd week mushies then regular food. Bet you'll lose crazy amount of weight though.

    ReplyDelete