Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It's Offical - I'm Banded

This is not the best pic of me, but it shows evidence that I made it to the hospital. First thing to go with the weight loss is my UNINECK (neck and chin in one). Not an attractive angle for a photo, especially with no makeup.

My surgery was scheduled for 7 am yesterday, and I was waking up in recovery about 9 amish. I was able to leave for home about 3 pm. All went smoothly and everyone was very nice. I received an injection in my belly to prevent blood clotting. They put the massaging socks on my legs to prevent clotting, as well as the pads that inflate like a blood pressure cuff. The nurse Bari (truly, that was her name) did an excellent job on my IV. She numbed it first and I did not feel a thing. My dr. said my liver looked fine and he gave me several pix of my stomach, liver and band (Bogart :).

Knock on wood, I have not had any gas pains. My stomach feels sore, like I have done 1,000 push-ups and my incisions are a bit sore. They gave me a prescription for liquid Lortabs for pain. I wouldn't say I have a lot of pain, but more discomfort. I slept on my back great last night. Only had to get up for my bad bladder as usual. Woke up about 5 am with a little energy and read the paper.

I drove this morning to take a car to the shop. Think it was a bit soon for driving, because it did not feel good to turn sideways, etc., and I didn't want to drive and take pain medication. Afterwards my dh and I went grocery shopping. Figured that got in one of my walking times for the day. I pushed an empty cart and he pushed the grocery cart. Great bonding time. DH took two days off work, goes back tomorrow and then he has a four day weekend. He has been great waiting on me hand and foot.

Food wise, I'm not eating a lot, taking it slow. So far today, about 10 oz. of water, 3-4 oz protein shake and a few spoonfuls of strained soup. I figure it will take a few days to get my appetite back.

The dr. put a Realize band in. I have five incisions that are glued shut. I will share pix later. Just not feeling like taking a shower yet today. They said we could shower and just blot the incisions.

I have little bursts of energy (I read, get on computer, watch a little TV-American Idol, DWTS and Glee) and then I nap for a couple of hours and that seems to work for now. Bending over is not pleasant, so I avoid that. A couple of times I have felt nauseous, and I had a belch/burp and felt much better.

You do not lose weight after surgery; I gained about 3-4 lbs. I figure that will be gone before long with my mini meals.

That is it for the update. Time for my next nap and when I wake up I will do some blog reading to catch up. :) Thanks again to everyone for your support!!!

19 comments:

  1. Yay! Congratulations, take good care of yourself, drink your water and walk. Hope you can continue with no gas pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the other side!! Sounds like you breezed through it-Take good care of yourself-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! for the few days after my surgery, my scale was up a good 4 lbs from all the flids they pumped in me. It's always nice the moment you weigh yourself and see hem gone. Glad to hear you made it through ok. Take it wasy and relax for the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea- congratulations! Take it easy and don't push yourself too much, just get your walking in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are banded. Welcome to the other side. Take it easy and get your rest, dont worry about loosing weight right now just feel better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bari. Hilarious.

    So glad to hear it was perfectly un-dramatic (if that's a word).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Glad it went well and welcome to Bandland :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I'm glad it went well and you're feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woot woot! It is all downhill here! (in a good way)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and welcome to the banded side! I'm glad it went well - now take it easy and no driving for 3 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you. I'll be hanging on to your every word because I should be getting my surgery in July (saying with fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been thinking about you this whole week. Congratulations! I am thrilled for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! I'm glad you are doing well! Welcome to the club!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like your recovery is going great! You are doing better than me. Today is the best I have felt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such good news - and I'm glad everything went just great. Now for all the fun stuff - the losing of weight (at least when things settle down in the next few days... I'm getting a little over-excited FOR you lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to the other side. ;o)
    I have to agree with you about the bending over part, it bothered me for a while, I'm 3.5 weeks out now and it's not bad at all now, only occasionally bothers me when I bend over.

    ReplyDelete