Saturday, May 22, 2010


I'm getting obsessive reading links about lapband. Here are a couple of good ones:

http://www.annecollins.com/diets/lap-band-obesity.htm




I was getting scared reading about slipped bands, fills, unfills, missed ports when filled, pbing...etc. on all my blogs.

A couple of general questions out there to calm my nerves:

1) How often do you have a PB incident? (about once a week, once a month or less often)

2) Can you get thru the day without thinking of your band? Does it actually become part of your lifestyle and you don't have to think about it constantly?

3) Can you physically feel your port?


In a way, I think I would feel like Iron Man with a foreign body in me. :)

Thank you for your input. You guys are the greatest!
BTW, latest movie update...took oldest daugther to see Robin Hood last night for a girl's night out. It was violent, but good if you like Russell Crowe. We both gave it 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

10 comments:

  1. What your are feeling is quite normal. If you weren't doing all this research then one would have to wonder if the band was right for you?

    What I have found from these blogs is that the band is different for everyone. You can't predict how you will react to it until you get it. Just like each day is different. Some days I am restricted some days I'm not. Why that is? Who knows? It happens to almost everyone.

    There are days when I don't think about the band and I do forget it is there. That has probably happened a little more recently though since I don't have much restriction now. I am only 2 months out and have only had one fill.

    I can feel my port. It is to the left of my belly button. It doesn't stick out but I worry that when I lose the weight that it might.

    I haven't had a huge problem with PB'ing and have only had one bad stuck episode (beware of pasta). I do have to work on smaller portions and eating slowly. That is definitely part of the lifestyle change you will work on. But it is a process -- it's not like all of a sudden you can remove years of how you eat and eat differently all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really PB'd yet as I'm just over 6 weeks out, but I have gotten stuck. It's only happened twice, I think, but it definitely is not fun.

    I have sometimes forgotten about my band, but since it's still new to me I think about it a lot. I am sure this will change.

    I can feel my port, which is kinda neat! I don't feel it unless I lean on it against a counter or something or press down on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful posts so far. The feeling my port thing is kind of freaking me out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice (before I forget...top was from Kohl's Juniors). Just wanted to wish you good luck with your banding day...in case I forget this week!

    1. I probably average a PB a week or less (always my fault and I have a very strong gag reflex).
    2. No I no longer think about my band constantly, but I still think about it a lot...when I eat or drink mostly. The other thing, is since I'm writing the book that probably makes it stay in my mind more than it would by now.
    3. Once you get to the point that you can feel your port you'll be skinny! Yes, I could feel it pretty early on and I can can actually see it now easily. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably ask for it to be put right above my belly button where I still have a little pooch. If you want a pic, let me know!

    Countdown time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janice, Thanks for asking those questions! As each day passes, I am getting a little more nervous. I am totally expecting to cry after wards as some bloggers have mentioned. I think skinny b**ch wrote that. I am so afraid of getting stuck and pbing. I will be thinking of you on Tuesday and I should be going home that day. Good luck honey and I will see you on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's totally normal to be nervous and freaked out (especially about complications).
    To answer your questions
    1. I've never had a PB and I've been banded about a year. I'm unusual in that category. I have had stuck episodes and they hurt, but not so bad and usually they are my own fault for eating fast.
    2. I don't think about it constantly, just when eating or getting ready to.
    3. I can't really feel my port (unless I press on it)but I'm still 196 pounds, so I've got tons of belly fat.

    I would stop reading the scary stuff and just think about all your blogging buddies that have gotten through it fine and are successful. You'll be there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) How often do you have a PB incident?
    I almost PB'd for the first time last night. Ate chips and salsa too fast then drank some lemonade. Would've been fine had I not had the sip.

    I've used gravity in the bathroom to help relieve some stuck situations though. (No heaving involved.)

    2) Can you get thru the day without thinking of your band? Does it actually become part of your lifestyle and you don't have to think about it constantly?

    I'm only 4 months in so I do think about it often; however, it's all on my mind MUCH less often than before surgery. Even when I kind of forget and eat too fast, it's waaaaay slower than pre-band so I know it's becoming habit.

    3) Can you physically feel your port?
    It doesn't stick out but you can feel it when you run your hand over my belly.
    I'm only 5'2" so executive level counters hit me right on it. It hurts a little if I lean too far over. (My baby's changing table gets me all the time...ouch.)

    All-in-all though, all of these things are SMALL prices to pay for regaining your health. I haven't regretted my decision for even a moment!

    I agree with the PP who suggested getting off the web until you're banded. Honestly, you know all you're going to know. Give your head some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't really answer most of your questions since I'm only 2 weeks post op but for me, while I do think of my band, I don't think about it nearly as often as I thought about the whole process and having a band, etc. pre-op. I definitely thought about it a lot more before the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great questions! Wish I'd asked these before being banded. I hit my 6 month mark on the 20th and I'm down 70 lb.

    1) How often do you have a PB incident?
    I PB a lot. Especially if I've recently had an adjustment. On a bad week...several times a week. On a good week...maybe once a week or not at all. But, like someone else said, we are all different.

    2) Can you get thru the day without thinking of your band? Does it actually become part of your lifestyle and you don't have to think about it constantly?

    I cannot get through the day without thinking about it. One reason is that there are often many things I want to eat, but I realize that I can't b/c of my band. Another reason is that things don't go down like they used to. I can't chug water anymore and I can feel just about anything I eat or drink when it goes through the band.

    3) Can you physically feel your port?
    Yep! I'm about 40lb from my ULTIMATE goal and am a size 14 now so I've lost quite a bit. I can def. feel it to the left and a little above my belly button. I can also feel it when I lay on my stomach. Odd feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally normal....

    I PB maybe once a week ro every 2 weeks , not bad

    My band is part of my lifestyle and I can not think of it during the day except when it is time to eat. It will always be there where food is concerned but other than that no

    Yes I can feel my port, always have been able to and if I stretch a certain way it sticks out but you know what??? Who cares becasue It has helped me loose 66pounds so far!!

    ReplyDelete