Sunday, May 23, 2010

On the Ledge



The day before SURGERY....

Thank you to Susie, my bariatric nurse coordinator. She talked me off the ledge. I called her in a panic telling her I was having second thoughts and asked how many people cancelled their surgeries at the last minute. Susie was very reassuring and comforting as she answered my concerns. She reminded me of all of the reasons I was having the surgery. I mentioned my concern about feeling and seeing the port, and she told me it was much like wearing glasses. It is different, but you learn to adapt over time. She also mentioned some different port options and placements, that would minimize that concern. I really am not normally that wishy washy nuts...but I have one little devil on my shoulder whispering, "You can do this on your own, look how much weight you've already lost on the liquid diet, you don't have THAT much to lose...". Then there is the little angel on the other shoulder reminding me, "How many diets have you already been on, how long have you worked to make this happen, it is an opportunity, you will be healthier..."

Am I the only one that goes thru these presurgery thoughts??? Maybe I should have spent more time with the psychologist. :)

Thinking of my band neighbors who are being banded today,

http://ellenslapbandblog.blogspot.com/ - Ellen
http://thequeenbeeslapbandlife.blogspot.com/ - Miss Vickie

Reminder of my WHYS today to keep me focused...
Longer life span
Quality of life
More energy
Knees/walking/back/bladder
Healthier blood pressure & cholesterol
Stop avoiding people I haven’t seen in awhile
More active
Not be embarrassed to wear a swimsuit
Look younger
Self Esteem
Weigh less than my husband
Better clothes choices
Lingerie
High heels
Not mind having photos taken
More attractive to spouse
Healthy Role Model for children


I've decided to name my band "Bogart" nickname "Bogey", kind of like a distinguished English butler who is invisible, but provides superior service with a touch of class!

My best tip for the 2 week liquid phase is that Carnation Sugar Free Instant Breakfast is the BEST tasting protein drink. My dr. has us add 6 tbsp. of non-fat dry milk to increase the protein.
I decided on my REWARD goals.

25 lb loss = facial & massage
50 lb loss = IPhone
75 lb loss = IPad


Now time to back away from the computer and do BUSY WORK!

See everyone on the other side. I promise. :)

14 comments:

  1. I had cold feet too, but I don't have a single regret. I know that I could lose the weight on my own, but I also know that I can't keep it off without some help. I'll be thinking about you, it's a big day. Good luck, you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally normal to have cold feet. You're having surgery - I'd be worried if you weren't worried. But it is the best thing ever, and you'll wake up tomorrow knowing the weight is coming off AND staying off. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew that was a close one! Wish I had known about your 'seeing/feeling the port' fear before I posted today! (Sorry!!!) I'd rather have a little bump under my skin than carry around all the extra weight - any day. And I haven't even gotten into all the health reasons.
    Glad you wrote them all out and you are moving on!
    See you on the other side!!!

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure the day before surgery I'll be freaking too, but right now I really wish I was you. I'm probably looking at July for my surgery and a part of me really just wants to be done. I'm tired of thinking and reading - I want to be living and doing with the band. I'll be thinking about you. Check back in as soon as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's totally natural - I was terrified, but it was totally worth it for me. Think about your Why list and all the failed diets you've been on. This is not a diet - you can do it!
    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck... best decision I ever made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A BIG thank you to everyone for all of your support and encouragement. I just had a couple hours of the heebee jebees. :)

    Bonnie, I promise to send you encouragement the day before your surgery. It will be here before you know it.

    You guys are all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't regret getting the band. I wouldn't have lost this 25 lbs so far without it that's for sure. It's slow going for me but I'm okay with it.

    I love your reward goals!!! Mine are always clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping this note finds you home and banded!!! You're going to do great rockin your band! Everyone has at least a little cold feet. I've lost thousands of pounds...up to 50 at a time...the difference is I'm able to KEEP it off this time (and lose twice as much LOL!). Can't wait to watch you progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GO for it babe! I too went through the same pre surgery doubts.

    As for the port remember it WILL stick out for the first month or so and you will notice it, but that is just swelling.

    I wrote about mine thinking, "Great, no figure hugging tops", but it goes down and now 3 months post op is not noticable at all unless I direct people to the location and they gently push.

    You will have doubts all the way through, that is soooooo normal. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

    WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE!!!!!!!!!

    ONE MORE OF US, ONE LESS FAILED DIETER. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a little scared laying on the table ready to go in .. BUT it was a momentary thing and when I was done? Glad I went through with it. Perfectly normal thoughts.. Don't you worry. Good luck .. will be thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your mini goal rewards! I love my iPhone and I'm really really wanting an iPad to sit blogging on while hubby watches his booring boy shows on tv.

    Our brains are tricky little devils aren't they, doing to old 'you can lose weight on your own...look how much you've already lost!' Mine did the same, whilst I was sitting in the hospital room...I just reminded myself that I'd thoroughly researched this, I'd made the decision with a clear head and I had to trust that decision rather than the self-talk that was coming from a place of fear.

    Good luck for today, I know it will go fine for you and you'll be really glad you did it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are not alone. A lot of people including myself go through it. You will be fine and you will not regret your decision!

    ReplyDelete