I had a friend visit me recently that had the gastric bypass surgery. She asked why I was choosing lapband and I told her I felt more comfortable going that route. I think it is truly a matter of personal choice and I support her decision 110%. She has lost over 100 lbs and looks marvelous! It got me thinking and I did a little "googling" and found some fun info on the internet. I found out a few things I didn't know before regarding lapband surgery. For example, it could take 2-3 years to reach goal weight. I think that is fair enough, since I took about 10 years to put it all on. :) I posted the information below in case someone else found this helpful. Whatever choice people make, I think it is important that we are supportive.
Lap-Band vs. Gastric Bypass Surgery
The most common type of weight loss surgery is gastric bypass surgery with over 30 years of use and impressive weight loss results. On the other hand, lap band surgery is a new and promising procedure that is growing in popularity due to it's comparable long term weight loss with less risk.
Many patients are interested in comparing gastric bypass surgery and lap band surgery. This chart can help give you a general overview of these two popular weight loss procedures, but it should not take the place of a consultation with your doctor to discuss your health and determine which procedure is the best fit for you.
Procedure
Lap-Band Surgery -LB (green)
Gastric Bypass -GB (red)
Approach to Weight Loss
Restrictive
Limits amount of food that can be eaten
Slows digestion
Creates satiety
Restrictive-Malabsorptive
Limits amount of food that can be eaten
Reduces absorption
Dumping Syndrome
Anatomy Changes
Stomach
Small (1-2 oz) stomach pouch created by placing an adjustable silicone band around top part of stomach
Stomach and Intestines
Stomach divided into an upper small (1 oz) pouch and a lower larger remnant pouch
Small intestine cut and rerouted
Dietary Guidelines
800 calories per day for first 2-3 years, then 1000-1200 calories per day
eat protein-rich foods
certain fibrous, dry, or doughy foods can get stuck if eaten
high carbohydrate and high calorie intake will defeat weight loss attempts
drink 6-8 cups of water a day between meals
avoid carbonated drinks
800 calories per day for first 1-2 years, then 1000-1200 calories per day
eat protein-rich foods
avoid intake of sugar and fats or Dumping Syndrome occurs
high carbohydrate and high calorie intake will defeat weight loss attempts
drink 6-8 cups of water per day between meals
avoid carbonated drinks
Eating Habits
eat 3 small meals a day
avoid snacking
no drinking with meals
eat slowly and chew food thoroughly
eat small amounts
avoid snacking
no drinking with meals
eat and drink slowly
chew food thoroughly
Nutritional Supplements
Multivitamin
Calcium
Multivitamin
Calcium
Vitamin B12
Iron (menstruating women)
Operating Time
1 hour
2 hours
Hospital Stay
less than 24 hrs - overnight
2-3 days
Time off Work
1 week
2-3 weeks
Recovery Time
Approximately 6 weeks
Approximately 3 months
Surgery Disadvantages
General surgical risks including infection
Possibility of band slippage, band erosion, or port problems
Requires more patient effort for weight loss
Stoma obstruction
Band needs fills and adjustments by doctor
Complex operation
Surgical risks including infection, leaks, and blood clots
Ulcers
Bowel obstruction
Reflux
Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
Dumping Syndrome
Surgery Mortality Rates
1 in 2000
1 in 200
Surgery Advantages
Simple and relatively safe procedure
Reversible
Adjustable
No removing or altering any part of the stomach or intestines
Short hospital stay
Quick recovery period
Low malnutrition risk
Low rate of major complications
Rapid weight loss in first 6 months
Greatly controls amount of food that can be eaten
Dumping Syndrome controls intake of sweets
Limits amount of calories absorbed by the body
Average Weight Loss
Slow and steady weight loss
Settles at final weight 3-4 years after surgery
40-50% weight loss after 1 year
55% weight loss after 5 years
Rapid weight loss first 6 months
Settles at final weight about 18-24 months after surgery
70% weight loss after 1 year
60% weight loss after 5 years


Welcome to the Club Janice!
ReplyDeleteWill be following on!
Great info! Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteWill you have to do a pre-surgery diet Janice?
ReplyDeleteYou are getting so close.
ReplyDeleteFor me this one was a no brainer. I chose the band because its customizable. Along with all the other reasons, I liked that it wasn't one size fits all. You're getting really close!! Its so exciting!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the club! Are you having single incision surgery? I highly recommend it if you can!
ReplyDeleteLike Jenny, for me this was a no brainer, too. There are so many complications with bypass and relatively few with the band. And for me, we haven't had kids yet and I like that the band can be adjusted to support a pregnancy. Finally, I know of more bad stories with bypass than I do of good. Most people I know that have done bypass have either regained their weight or worse, died. I know of one success story - and that's out of 14 people I know who've done it - either friends, family friends or coworkers. I am not saying that the band is un-fail-able. I know it requires a lot of work on my part. But bypass people tend to not put the work in (based only on the people that I know) and that is, to me, ultimately what causes the un-success (if you will) to start happening. I will be the one losing my weight. Not the band. Not bypass. All me. The band will just be there to remind me if I start to slip when plateaus happen or when I think it's a good idea to eat a full Thanksgiving dinner three days in a row. Gotta love leftovers, right?
ReplyDeleteYou are getting so close - I am excited for you!!!
Hi Janice...I gave you a shout-out on my blog today so be prepared for some new faces around here!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you!
When it came to the surgery, I knew it was the band over the sleeve or the bypass. I had a friend who had the bypass and although she lost a lot of weight, she transferred ehr addiction from food to gambling and drinking. Due to her inability to properly digest alcohol, she gets drunk too quick and she drinks too much and she gambles constantly. The lap band just seemed safer to me and it was something I knew I would have to work at. Yes, the losses are slower, but I am learning to eat healthy, exercise and work for my losses. Just my 2 cents! Oh, and I was referred by jacquie. Great, informative post!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic post! It is great to see the information compared like that. I love my band. It is the BEST thing I've ever done for myself.
ReplyDeleteHi Janice,
ReplyDeleteI too am a wife, mother of 2 teenage girls, a spoilt chocolate labradoodle and I am being banded on 21 May. I am excited and nervous and everything else in between but mostly excited. Good luck as the countdown draws to and end and the band becomes part of you. I will follow your blog with interest from here in New Zealand.