Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mental Changes


Often when someone loses weight they will be asked if their personality, etc. changed at all. I have noticed in my "almost" one month out that I feel a lot more confident. For about the past ten years I really did "let myself go" and was in a lot of denial. I quit weighing myself regularly, I know I had not used a measuring tape in a decade and I ran past mirrors. I just refused to look in the mirror when getting dressed, out of the shower, etc. Out of sight, out of mind. Now I'm at the other extreme. I look and analyze constantly. The good news is that I don't terribly hate what I see. I see lots of room for improvement but I'm very optimistic.

I do have to laugh on taking my measurements. Being 50 and having had 2 children...when I measure my breasts, the front is in one location and the back is a few inches higher. That wasn't such an issue over a decade ago when I last took my measurements.

Today was my mammogram day, which I had at a wonderful health & wellness facility nearby. They have a gorgeous fitness center on site, so I took the time to visit. Lots of fun classes including Zumba, Spin and something called "Sizzle & Chizzle". Meanwhile, when I go to my surgeon in July he is supposed to release me to exercise and then I have a two month free membership for myself and a guest at a facility a little over an hour away. I will probably use that for the rest of the summer. As a teacher I'm home and can justify making the drive a few times a week to get into the swing of exercise. Plus, I get 8 visits FREE with a personal trainer. After that two months is up, I will look into the local facility. I'm getting excited to exercise. That is a big improvement. Plus the local facility has a phenomenal spa!!!

A little humor for the week:
One day, a man came home and was greeted by his wife dressed ina very Sexy nightie 'Tie me up,' she purred, 'and you can do anythingyou want.' So he tied her up and went golfing.

12 comments:

  1. LOL...loved the chuckle! Good for you with the exercise. I too would go with the freebie to start!

    I can also relate about the boob issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get what you're saying about really examining things that you haven't in years past. It feels good to conscientiously be working on improvement - with the help of a tool that at least helps me to feel confident about making it long term. Good for you!

    Question - as you are newly banded too, once you start eating food, are you sticking to the 1/2 - 3/4 cup per meal and feeling satisfied with that? I'm just starting mushies and trying to balance being aware of what I'm eating with making sure that I'm healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response to Susan....
    I'm just finishing up purees (which have been heaven compared to liquids). :) I eat about every three hours.

    Breakfast: Cream of Wheat with Skim Milk (6 oz)

    Snack: Protein Shake (Sugar Free Carnation Instant breakfast with Non Fat Dry Powdered Milk for Extra Protein)

    Lunch: Tuna Salad (part of a hardboiled egg, lite mayo & mustard, cottage cheese) about 6 oz. total

    Snack: Yogurt

    Dinner: Ground Beef (smaller than a pea) with lowfat sour cream, shredded lite mozarella cheese and cottage cheese - about 6 oz.

    Snack: Sugar free pudding

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehehe...I can totally relate to this! I laughed at my pre-op pictures the other day because I have the look of someone who just doesn't care anymore! And really, that's what I had become. Now, I never leave the apartment without lipstick! It's amazing the difference between letting go (in a bad way) and putting the extra effort in again. I'm much happier now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed your ticker says you've lost 19.8 lbs! That's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute joke. I'm so glad my husband never got into golf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your graphic (kitty/lion).. it is true that as you lose, you gain tons in the confidence dept. Makes you wonder what we have been missing all along.

    Love you little chuckle.. would tell it to my DH but he is a golfer and it might give him ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved you little chuckle. So glad you are getting into the exercise mindset. I've started at the gym with a new personal trainer and she put me through the ropes. At 56, if I can do it so can anyone. It makes you feel so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the menu info!! That is really helpful. And, thank you for the powdered milk tip. I switched to Carnation Instant breakfast about the day after surgery because I just couldn't handle the strong protein-i taste of the hard core drinks. The powdered milk is a great trick! And congrats on the 19.8 lbs - yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janice
    I'm new to both the band world and the blog world. I'm still pre-pre band - no date yet. But I'm really enjoying reading all these blogs. I've been going through from start to end on them and just got caught up on your progress!
    just in case you're yearning for another blog to follow, i'm http://islandbandit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so understand the mentality of this blog. I had completely given up, and now feel some sense of direction and success and doesn't it help your confidence?!?

    ReplyDelete