Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bogie and I...Two Weeks Into Our Journey


Today is the last day of my liquid lifestyle and I cannot say I'm the least bit sad! :) I thought I would do a quick blog entry today called "This Much I Know" similar to what Oprah does on the last page of her magazine. I think that in a year from now, some of these details will be forgotten to me, so it is good to document them for myself and others on the journey.

Today is also my two week banding anniversary date. I have lost 14 lbs.
6 lbs. were lost during the 10 day liquid pre-0p
6 lbs. were lost the week after surgery
2 lbs. were lost this last week (slowing down, but still going in the right direction)

I've never lost 14 lbs. in 24 days before, so I'm very happy. My only fear was the day before surgery. I was getting cocky with the pre-op diet, telling myself that I didn't need surgery...I could do this on my own, just following the pre-op plan. Let's face it, I was just scared. Once I talked to the team nurse (who also has had lapband) I felt much better. I would have never made it this far on my own. Example, my youngest daughter had an end of the school party and sleepover which involved LOTS of junk food. I would have eaten half of the stuff right along with them if I wasn't banded. Bogart (my band) is my little "slap on the hand". I would have never been as diligent about portion size as I am now. In the past, what I ate for dinner would have been close to the amount I eat all day now. I admit...I HAD little willpower.


Back to what I know.

Prior to Surgery: The best thing I did was read and start a blog. It got me in the mindset and gave me a better feel for the surgery and what to expect before, during and after. There is just only so much the dr. can tell you ahead of time. My bloggers gave me a picture. I religiously took notes as I read (recipes, things to buy....) One big thing I discovered is that we are all different. Things I prepared for didn't all apply to me.

Surgery Itself: Out of all of my surgeries (knee, c-section...) I consider this one the easiest. I was in surgery about 7:30 am and on the way home about 3 pm. I only took pain meds the first day after surgery. I was not hungry at all the first couple of days. Nothing was particularly painful. It was tricky laying down flat and trying to sit up, but that only lasted a few days. I never had any of the gas pains that some people have dealt with, which was a big relief. Someone suggested to bring a pillow in the car during the drive home. It does help cushion your stomach. I used a pillow for a couple of days. Personally, I drove less than 24 hrs. after surgery to take a car to the shop. While it was doable, I wouldn't recommend it. I was just a little sore to twist and look behind me. Within a few days, I was fine driving.


After surgery: One of my biggest concerns prior to surgery is that I would FEEL the band inside me constantly, haunting me. I don't feel my band at all. If I rub my hand over my tummy I think I can feel my port (at least I think that is what it is). I only think about my band when I eat and make food choices. My scars are barely visible. I will take another pic in a few weeks, but I'm surprised how faint they are. The small ones look like little scratches. The hardest part so far has been the LIQUIDS; with pre-op this is 20 days of liquids. I just desire crunching. Thank goodness for communion at church on Sunday...I had the biggest smile of anyone. I didn't think it counted as cheating if it was at church. :) Also, a big pat on the back for my dh who had only liquids with me on Sunday. I think he lost 3 lbs. in one day. So not fair!

As a teacher, I have the summer off aside from an inservice day or two and a couple of conferences in July. Take it easy the first week. I read about a book a day and took a little walk.
That was pretty much it. By week two, I'm up doing my regular "stuff" and feel fine. Only thing that is a little odd, I feel better if I sit up and have good posture. I guess I hunch over too much in my computer chair. Could be my imagination, but "Bogart" likes good posture.

Tomorrow I'm onto PUREES! Anything is game as long as I make it the consistency of pudding!

Thanks for listening, commenting, sharing...it makes the journey more fun to have company along the way.

5 comments:

  1. How exciting to get to the end of liquids. Even though the weight loss jump start is nice. Good for you for sticking to it! It is so helpful to read about your experience. I'll see you on the other side next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of liquids did you do??? Let us know how the purees go! Your doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much anything that was liquid was aok.

    The dr. did allow Cream of Wheat for breakfast which was a lifesaver.
    Snack: Protein Shake
    Lunch: 1/2 cup strained cream soup (usually tomato, potato..)
    Snack: Sugar Free Pudding
    Dinner: 1/2 cup soup again & Protein shake
    Snack: Fat free, sugar free yogurt
    LOTS of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, Janice, I feel like I'm reading my own thoughts, when I read what you've written. I thought it was funny what you said about communion, cause I felt the same way as well! :) I also agree about the posture thing, it's uncomfortable to slouch.

    Way to go on the 14.4lbs! You're awesome! I was thinking today, "have I cheated cause I have the band?" But then I thought, "No, you're not cheating, you've done all the hard work this last two weeks, it's been my will power that has gotten me through this! And lots of prayer!" Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing great!

    It's funny, I was just telling my MIL that I have to keep good posture because Bella doesn't like it when I slouch while sitting.

    ReplyDelete