


I had my first fill today. First pic is Dr. H. explaining the fill. Middle pic is finding the port. (Easy-peasy). When I first saw the needle he said not to panic, the whole needle is not inserted. Then two pics of actual fill. (Thank you to 17 year old who came with me and took pics. Next time she said she would do a video. :)
Whole procedure took less than 1 min and a half, tops. If I had to rate it on a pain scale of 1 - 10, I would say barely a 1.
When I saw the pix, I was kind of surprised. Who would know you look fatter in a horizontal position with your shirt up? I have this uni-chin going on and my belly just looks bloated and white. Sort of like a beached whale. That explains why I had lapband. Too bad we can't pick and choose where we want the weight to leave (5 lbs. for chin, 30 lbs. for stomach, 10 lbs. thighs...). Also, I was dressed in my exercise attire; less than attractive.
Whole procedure took less than 1 min and a half, tops. If I had to rate it on a pain scale of 1 - 10, I would say barely a 1.
When I saw the pix, I was kind of surprised. Who would know you look fatter in a horizontal position with your shirt up? I have this uni-chin going on and my belly just looks bloated and white. Sort of like a beached whale. That explains why I had lapband. Too bad we can't pick and choose where we want the weight to leave (5 lbs. for chin, 30 lbs. for stomach, 10 lbs. thighs...). Also, I was dressed in my exercise attire; less than attractive.
According to the dr's scales I had lost 24 lbs since the fall when I first looked into lapband surgery. He was pleased with the weight loss in 6 weeks. Dr. H. says that he likes to be aggressive with fills and he leaves that up to me. We started out with 5.0 ccs in my Realize band. After that we will do .5 - 1.0 cc increments. He said if I wanted another fill in a few weeks, just to call the office. My fills are covered 100% the first 90 days, and then after that they are just an office visit copay ($35 for specialists). I have a couple of trips planned this month, so I will probably hold off on another fill until I get back. Later this week I will post some "Band Commandments" one of the nurses put together for lapband patients.
I also met with the nurse (blood pressure, questions, etc....) Then followed it up with the dietitian. All in all, the visit took a little over an hour and was very easy. I'm going to go back for a follow up mid-August and maybe get a smidge of a fill then.
Also, got the release to exercise and made an appt. to sign up with the health facility (free 2 month membership) and 8 free visits with a personal trainer. Plus, I get to have a support person join me free as well. My 17 year old is very happy. :)
Happy Hump Day!
Happy Hump Day!


Awesome about all that free gym stuff!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting.
Glad to hear it wasn't as painful as it looks! I get my first fill on Friday. 5 cc's, that's great! My doctor told me he would only do 1 cc, I'm praying to change his mind! Can't wait to hear how you do! Do you have a special diet after a fill?
ReplyDeleteEllen - 1 cc to start with? That seems low. Maybe you have a different band. My dr. said my band goes up to 14 cc. I just have to do liquids 24 hrs. after surgery. I better drop a few pounds. :) The fill was very easy and painless. Can't wait to hear how you do.
ReplyDeletewow 5cc's on your fill is very aggressive. I remember the months of wanting more and more fills, the wait to get some restriction was horrible.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting! Mine is next week and I'm just a wee bit nervous - not too bad though. You'll have to let us know how this feels in terms of restriction.
ReplyDeleteYou are very brave.. but you also look fairly confident in your doc.. glad it all went well. and don't be so hard on your self.. which one of us look glamorous on that first fill (NO ONE).. but wait till month 3 or 4 you will be sporting some sexy pics.. that's how it goes.. good job.
ReplyDeleteJanice, I have no idea how much he put in. He says everyone gets hung up on numbers. I have not been able to even drink anything! I will be going in tomorrow. Glad yours went so well!
ReplyDeleteLove the pics! I wasn't able to get pics of my first fill but will definitely get pics of my second fill! YAY!!!
ReplyDelete8 free visits with a trainer is awesome!! Glad you had a good fill experience!
ReplyDeleteIts so cool that your daughter went and took pics. I'm trying to decide who I will get to go because my mom doesn't know how to take pics on my camera or cell phone.
ReplyDeleteThe free gym membership and trainer is mad cool.
I have an 11cc Realize Band. Cross our fingers, he gives me a bigger fill!
ReplyDeleteglad everything went well!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your experience. Now that surgery is behind me, the first fill will be my next thing I worry about. Hopefully it will be as easy as yours.
ReplyDelete