Friday, February 3, 2012

Tube Disconnected from Port

Wow...it has been over a year since I have posted. I realize how much of a help the support of the band community can be.

Anyways, long story short. I was banded in May 2010. All went well and I was losing weight, slowly and steadily. I only had a few fills that first year, because I wanted to be comfortable and not too tight. I left my teaching job in June this past year and changed jobs. My oldest daughter went off to college. I started gaining weight in the fall and chalked it up to "life-style" changes. Also, in September I started having abdominal pains/groin...all over the place. My ob/gyn did a pelvic ultrasound/blood work/urine tests...all good. Gastro dr. did colonoscopy/barium test...all ok. I thought I was going crazy. I kept mentioning other possibilities to the drs including asking if my lapband could have anything to do with it and we all thought, "nah, too far from that area...how could they be related." So tests, dollars spent and time later...

Finally, made it to my lapband dr. 18 month visit. I kept rescheduling it because of the other tests and plus I was embarrassed because I had gained weight. I told him that I thought it was about time I had a fill since I was gaining weight. When he went in to remove fluid, nothing came out which concerned him. Then he put fluid in and tried to pull that out and nothing came out.
He was concerned that I might have a leak in my band which would explain that I had no restriction and hence a weight gain.

I went to the hospital today and they were going to inject the die to see where there might be a leak. No need for the radiologist to do that. He could see on the XRay that my tube was disconnected from the port and hanging lose in my abdomen. That explained the pain in the abdomen that was moving around. Part of me feels relieved at least to understand where that pain was coming from and not feel like I was going crazy.

My dr. is supposed to call me back today or Monday and discuss the options.

I didn't know if anyone else has gone through this. At least I have an explanation for the weight gain and ab pain. Sometimes you learn as you go and I thought I was being as proactive as I could be.

Thanks for any input!!!

I promise to get back into the blog swing. I need it. Missed everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I am so sorry to hear that this has happened, but perhaps it is fixable? Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I've never heard of such a thing. I'm sorry that you're going through this. I hope you get it fixed quickly and get some relief. I'm glad you're back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...never heard of that one! I had my band removed because we couldn't get good restriction. I was revised to the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, VSG or Sleeve. Love it!

    Please keep blogging and let us know how you make out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a new one for me too. Hope you can get a quick fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are back...I too have never heard of that scenario. Hopefully they can fix it and you get some quick relief.

    ReplyDelete