Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Janice 2.0 - Newly Revised

I had my revision surgery on Monday. My husband says I'm now a new version of the old. Just updated technology, so he affectionately calls me "Janice 2.0". I was in the hospital less than six hours total. Much quicker than the initial surgery. I'm at the office today; probably will just spend half a day.


My dr. confirmed what I read about the Realize Band having a volunteer recall for the reason of the tubes coming disconnected from the ports. He has not used the Realize band himself for over the past year for that reason. I was banded about 21 months ago. See articles below:


Realize band recall
There was a voluntary recall of Realize bands that were not yet placed in patients. The problem was with a connector that connected the tubing to the port would sometimes disconnect. The main issue with this is if ever the band needed to be removed the surgeon would need to make sure they do not lose this piece. I prefer to use the Allergan Lap-Band in my patients which has been approved by the FDA for a longer period of time in the USA.
Doctor's Website

Shawn Garber, MD
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon
+1
Realize Recall...What Does It mean For You?
In a word? NOTHING! The recall of the Realize Band was voluntary and involved only bands that were still sitting on the shelf! Patients that have had Realize Bands placed inside of them definitely DO NOT have to have their band removed. The voluntary recall involved a technical issue with the tubing and the port that to my knowledge had never caused a reportable problem for patients. The company had devised a way to improve the mechanics... more
Doctor's Website

Lloyd Stegemann, MD
Corpus Christi Bariatric Surgeon


My dr. reconnected the tube to a new port and shortened it. He also used two binder clasps (whatever they are called:) to attach the tube to the new port. The new port is the replaced/improved port for the recalled Realize part. My dr. has done over 1000 lapbands and has never had one of his patients become disconnected. I'm his first personal disconnect. :) That being said, he has done reconnections for other patients who had their lapbands done elsewhere. He did say this was extremely rare. At the time he did the surgery, my tube was hanging out around my appendix.


I asked him why he didn't just replace the whole Realize system and he said that would have involved a much more invasive procedure. The recall concern was with the port and connecting tube and that is the part I had changed out.


I just have three incisions (I will post a pic later in the week). Not too bad.


All in all I'm felling pretty good. He did put some saline in the band during the surgery so I would have some restriction; not much though. He didn't want to have to do an unfill while I was still a bit swollen from surgery. So we erred on the side of a light fill. I had liquids after surgery the first day and now I am pretty much back on my bandster diet. I've been keeping to under 1000 calories a day (soup, LOVE cream of wheat, jello....) just because that is what sounds the best right now.


My weight was 191.2 the morning of surgery. Goal is 160 by the end of July. Back on the band wagon!


Happy Hump Day!


3 comments: