
I know for me, one of my biggest concerns was insurance. I wondered if it would cover the surgery and if I would be eligible. I really expected to be turned down a few times and have to continually resubmit. My BMI is about 37 and my comorbities were marginal. I attended the WLS seminar in October and all of my paperwork was submitted to BCBS in early Dec. Two weeks later I got a call from the hospital wanting to set up a date for my surgery. I was tongue tied trying to figure out what surgery...I couldn't believe it went so quickly and smoothly. A couple of days later I received my approval letter in the mail from the insurance company.
The hospital called last week to go over my insurance and my portion out of pocket so I would be prepared and not have any surprises. Their policy is for the patient to pay 50% prior to the surgery. After deductibles, and my 20% portion...my max will be $2000 out of pocket. The good news is I will have met my portion for the year, so it would be a good year to schedule my needed knee surgery. :)
The hospital called last week to go over my insurance and my portion out of pocket so I would be prepared and not have any surprises. Their policy is for the patient to pay 50% prior to the surgery. After deductibles, and my 20% portion...my max will be $2000 out of pocket. The good news is I will have met my portion for the year, so it would be a good year to schedule my needed knee surgery. :)
Good luck to each of you with your insurance and approvals. It is such a relief when you get that AOK.


Congrats Janice! What a relief, huh? I am having my surgery on 3/24 and it caan't come fast enough. When do you think yours will be?
ReplyDeleteMy surgery is scheduled during my spring break on Tuesday, March 30. So you get to lead the way and tell me what to expect. When do you start your liquid diet? That's the part that scares me. I just gave up Diet Pepsi.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I will submit paperwork in May. My BMI is 39.4 with a couple of morbities too. I am pretty nervous about it. I hope it goes as smooth as yours did. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI feared the liquid diet far more than anything else. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought.
ReplyDeleteI did no prep before, I didn't cut out soda, carbs, lower calories or anything. Just full liquid on day 1, cold turkey. Somewhere during day 3, the constant grumbly hunger feeling just went away.
The rest of the time was easy hunger-wise. Thankfully I never craved certain foods, just salt in general. The broth took care of that.
No fear. You'll be fine.
My doctor does not require a liquid diet for BMI's under 40. Mine is a 33.6 and I may just do it for 3 days prior just to clean out my system. I'm not sure.
ReplyDelete